What is it?
Healing a Parent’s Heart is a three-day intimate small group experience for parents of gay or lesbian children. Because of their years of experience with men and women with same-sex attraction, Janelle and her associates are in a unique position to help parents understand their child’s life and heal and to strengthen their relationship with their child.
What Will Happen?
Beginning on Friday evening and ending on Sunday afternoon, time will be spent in teaching, personal reflection, sharing, learning, inspirational readings, dialogue, fellowship, training, processing, eating, praying, crying and laughing. Specifically, parents in attendance will:
- Hear a personal story of healing and growth from parents who are in this sacred journey
- Receive framework for understanding the possible biological and developmental influences of same-sex attraction
- Hear the personal stories of a son and daughter who have same-sex attraction
- Share their own personal history and circumstances as they relate to parenting and current relationship with their child
- Gain a deeper understanding of their child
- Receive training on communication techniques that will help to secure and stabilize a strong warm attachment with their child
- Receive personal coaching on their special relationship with their child
- Obtain practical tips in handling other family relationships and concerns in light of the child’s homosexuality
- Discover how to build a personal support system
- Gain personal insight and experience hope and joy in the midst of sorrow and loss
- Be encouraged, refreshed and strengthened for the journey ahead
Lectures, group experiences, and meals for the retreat are held at the campus of Denver Seminary.
Housing options include:
Hilton Garden Inn Denver/Highlands Ranch (5 miles from Denver Seminary)
1050 Plaza Dr
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126
Residence Inn Denver Highlands Ranch (5.5 miles from Denver Seminary)
93 W Centennial Blvd
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126
Hampton Inn & Suites Denver/Highlands Ranch (6 miles from Denver Seminary)
3095 W County Line Rd
Littleton, CO 80129
$899 per couple or $450 per adult.
This payment includes a light dinner on Friday evening, lunch and dinner on Saturday, and lunch on Sunday. The price does not include travel or lodging.
What Parents Are Saying About the Retreat
“My life has changed! I have been reminded at how gifted and special my child is. I’ve learned better communication skills and how to reach out to my child. I am so grateful for the opportunity to have attended this retreat!” – A Parent
“This retreat was a wonderful experience getting to know other couples and bearing of their struggles. It’s always healing when there are other people who can relate to your own journey in life.”
– A Parent
“My husband and I want to thank you for your time with us last evening. It was enlightening. You blessed us with your guidance and listening, and opened our minds to new ways to relate to our daughter in love.”
“I feel more hopeful! I received concrete steps of things that I can do that will help my relationship with my son.” – A Parent
“The retreat was emotional and exhausting and I loved every minute! I was at home because I was in such a safe place.”
– A Parent
6:30 pm – Introductions and Paperwork – Drinks and a light dinner will be provided.
7 pm – Formal evening schedule begins
9:00 am – 9:45 pm
9:00 am – 2 pm
Plan on one hour to drive to the airport after lunch on Sunday. You should not schedule a return flight earlier than 4:30-5:00 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.
Each parent must complete and mail in an Application Form with a $200 down payment. The remainder of the fee will be collected at the time of the retreat and can be paid either with cash, check or credit card.
If you would like an application form mailed to you, please call Janelle’s office at 303.429.2100. Advanced registration is required. Space is limited. Applications will be accepted on a space available basis.
Payments can be made via Paypal:
For more information on individual or family counseling for related topics please visit
Janelle Hallman & Associates or call 303.429.2100